Friday, February 11, 2005

Hi tech, low tech, it's all procrastination

I enjoyed this piece in The Boston Globe:
Confessions of an instant messenger:
"Enter: The facebook. If AIM is a gateway drug, The facebook is Internet crack. If you're in college, you know the deal: upload your picture, add in some interests, list every single band you've ever listened to, girls write down your favorite ''I love shopping and my best friends' quote from ''Sex and the City,' and guys write down that you like ''Scarface' and ''The DaVinci Code.' Then you browse through different profiles and compile a list of friends, some of which you know and some of which you've (maybe) met once but never talked to after that."
Back in my day (said the old man) we had a little printed facebook with black & white mugshots of those who bothered to send in a picture. The rest of us got a picture of a bear, which was actually better looking than any photo I would have submitted anyway. For wasting time, the facebook didn't last long. I had to move on to more time-consuming things like teaching myself to throw darts lefthanded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home