Tuesday, November 30, 2004

A presidential pardon as imagined by me

Here's my fictional account of how the recent presidential pardon of Richard Morse might have played out.
Aide: Mr. President?
W: Huh?
Aide: We need to review the holiday pardon requests, sir.
W: Didn't we already do that?
Aide: That was the turkey, sir. Today we're doing people.
W: Okay, shoot.
Aide: First up is a guy who stole a car 40 years ago.
W: What kind of car?
Aide: A Cadillac.
W: What year an model?
Aide: A 1958 DeVille, I think. Light pink.
W: Heh heh, roomy back seat on that one, if you know what I mean.
Aide: Of course, sir. Anyway, about the pardon--
W: Let 'm fry.
Aide: Sir?
W: He knew what he was doin', didn't he? There's laws, and they got to be respected. I'll pull the switch myself.
Aide: Sir, it's not a capital case.
W: Say what?
Aide: It's not a death penalty case, sir. He served a few months in prison in the 1960's.
W: Then what's he want to be pardoned for? He trying to vote? Declined. Make sure he's on the list.
Aide: No sir, actually he tried to buy a gun. That's why he wants to be pardoned, so he can buy a gun.
W: Well I appreciate the man's got some moral character, but he's still a criminal, and criminals need to be taken off the street. Can't we get him on parole violation or something?
Aide: Mr. President, I don't think you understand.
W: Huh?
Aide: He's white.
W: Well why didn't you say so! I can't believe I let you lead me on like that. Did Rove put you up to this? Cheney? It was Cheney, wasn't it, the knucklehead. Gimme a pen and show me where to sign.
Remember, this is pure satire! I don't seriously believe the President is a racist. I do think, though, that capital punishment is implemented with racial bias, and we all know how the former Governor of Texas feels about capital punishment. The current choice of pardon is interesting when you look at his history of not pardoning people on death row.

BTW, I'm only guessing that Mr. Morse is white. Anyone know for sure?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home