Sunday, June 12, 2005

"I'm sorry for the fans who paid for this." - Mike Tyson

At least he's being honest after the fact, if not before. I bet he still cashes his paycheck, though.

Is there another sport in the world where once-great athletes embarrass themselves as much as in boxing? For every boxer who retired on top of their game--and stayed retired forevermore--there must be twenty who fought one or two or ten fights too many, desperately trying to prove they can defy the ravages of age and wear while getting one more paycheck for the only job they've ever known. Sad, yes, but it's also part of the mythic appeal of boxing. Even the mightiest eventually fall; invincibility is an illusion, which means all of us stand a chance against the powers that beat us down day after day.

P.S. Speaking of mythic appeal (or a lack thereof), I've been trying, really trying, to work my way through Joseph Campbell's The Hero With a Thousand Faces, but it's just too painful. Or too scholarly, I should say. I should have just gotten the Cliff's Notes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home