Thursday, June 09, 2005

Honey, I updated the router firmware!

When she heard the news, my wife didn't sound as thrilled as I'd hoped. But then I explained the significance.

Ever since we got the new Mac to replace the aging Compaq, we had internet problems. First, the browser would slow to a crawl after 3 pm. I figured out it had something to do with DNS lookup.

She said, "*&#%$# computer!"

I said, "*&#%$# Verizon!"

Following a tip I found somewhere, I put the DNS addresses in the Mac, bypassing the router. That problem seemed fixed.

But then we'd just seem to get bumped off the internet every now and then for no apparent reason. I'd go down to the basement and power the router and DSL modem off and on to get it back. Then I figured out that sometimes--not every time--I could avoid the basement by opening the router settings in my browser and reconnecting PPPoE, which somehow was disconnecting itself. But sometimes this didn't work either.

She said, "*&#%$# computer!"

I said, "*&#%$# Verizon!"

Then I read up on routers. I learned that firmware is something you can update. So I downloaded the update from Linksys. (Luckily the old Windows PC still works because it didn't have a Mac installer.) And it's been smooth browsing ever since.

My wife didn't notice. At least she stopped saying "*&#%$# computer!" And I don't have to cancel Verizon after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home