Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Jet's OK, but they aren't The Faces

I never knew how great this band was until NPR did a retrospective this morning. Rod Stewart has been on my permanent "Do Not Listen" list since about 1983. If a Rod Stewart song comes on the radio, I'm obliged to hit the scan button within 3 nanoseconds--2 if it's "Maggie May". But when I heard the clips this morning, I felt like I'd stumbled upon a great discovery. These guys rocked and had a hell of a time doing it, which is what it's all about! Go listen at npr.org (scroll to the very last story)

Which brings me to Jet, who I like just fine, but I've always thought they sound like a cross between AC/DC and Badfinger. My 7-year-old son loves Jet, and he loves AC/DC too except that CD is on the top shelf until he turns, I don't know, 16 or 30. I'm in favor of music that kicks ass, but I don't want to have to explain the lyrics to "Give the Dog a Bone" which is a male sexual power fantasy with graphic imagery about giving head and what not.

Maybe Badfinger should be the next acquisition in the Denneen CD collection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home