Monday, September 13, 2004

Education funding cuts in red states only?

Massachusetts school funding is in bad shape. Federal money is leaving the state in huge amounts. Even though nationally Title 1 funding has increased, the biggest and poorest districts in Mass are seeing cuts of 10 to 20%.

My theory: It's a red state/blue state thing. Any state in the Democrats' column gets cut, while Republican states get a boost. And of course the all-important "swing" or "in-play" states get the biggest slice of pie.

Am I right? Someday when I have time I'll have to crunch through the state-by-state, year-by-year Title 1 Excel files posted on the Department of Ed web site.

1 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Blogger Sparky said...

Hey Bill,

I actually appreciated your recent comments on my Bush/Kerry issues. A literate debate is always a pleasure! I actually find the war highly debatable and am actually a registered Independent despite being married to an avid Republican. Here's the rub for me: Kerry is weak. Very weak. Bush may be a bully but he's a strong one. Right now, whether or not the war was right or wrong, the "enemies" of America are pissed and we need to be "on guard". Kerry will blow that for us and we will, I repeat, we will be attacked if he is elected. Without mercy. As always, the election is about voting against someone and not necessarily for someone. In four more years we may have other options but right now, I want my country and my children protected by big guns - even if that means re-electing a president that may have been trigger happy. Had there been a more qualified Democratic candidate...

Thanks for your imput!
Alana Marie Burke

 

Post a Comment

<< Home